Lead Field Technician
Reports To: Program Director
Status: Full-Time (40 hours/week)/ Hourly
The Lead Field Technician supervises the activities of the field team (staff and volunteers) in order to facilitate the implementation of Malama Maui Nui grant objectives as directed by the Program Director. He/she performs highly skilled work in a wide range of activities including but not limited to: general construction; mechanical labor; use of heavy machinery; and reporting, documenting, locating, collecting, transporting and disposing of solid waste, potentially hazardous materials, and recycled materials in an effective and efficient manner. Additional assignments may include outreach and education, beautification and conservation projects and litter/anti-litter projects. This position requires an understanding and interest in sustainable waste management practices, and experience in directing and motivating staff and volunteers. This is a working supervisory position with active field and reporting administrative management duties for field technician team, in which work is performed in a variety of locations and environments with little immediate oversight. The Lead Field Technician will be held accountable for exercising discretion in selecting safe and appropriate measures and in applying established policies and procedures in order to complete assigned tasks for staff and volunteers.
Essential Job Functions:
- Act as an exemplary representative of Malama Maui Nui by inspiring, educating and empowering the local community. This requires maintaining an optimistic attitude and demonstrating positive behavior that reflects the mission and core values of Malama Maui Nui at all times.
- Ensure that the field team completely and accurately record and submit required reports, GPS data and documentation associated with each assignment (Daily Work Reports, Action Request Forms (ARF), Recon Forms, waivers/receipts, mileage logs, time sheets, vehicle inspections, etc.)
- Ensure that field team inventory, inspect, clean and maintain all equipment on a daily basis including but not limited to: assigned vehicles, mowers, power tools and other equipment.
- Maintain base yard facilities in a safe, clean and organized fashion at all times
- Perform skilled labor on projects that may include metal fabrication, welding, general construction, mechanical knowledge, and use of heavy machinery as appropriate
- Pick up and disposal of bulky appliances, tires, trash, green waste, or any other materials
- Routinely patrol public roadways to identify and clean up hot spot dump sites
- Process various materials for proper recycling or disposal
- Perform all other duties as assigned by Program Director and submit daily status reports.
Education and Experience:
Required: This position requires a minimum of a high school diploma or GED equivalency.
Preferred: A bachelor’s degree in Waste Management, Environmental Studies/Sciences, Natural Resource Management, and/or other associated fields.
Experience: At least two years of experience in a supervisory role. Preference given to candidates with experience in a Waste Management facility, Natural Resource program, or similar organization(s). Experience with power tools, heavy machinery and best management practices related to waste/landfill diversion also preferred.
- Ability to respectfully and effectively communicate, both verbally and in writing, with staff and members of the general public
- Ability to follow a written work plan, navigate maps, independently execute work safely and efficiently, document and electronically report completed activities, including photos and GPS data, on a daily basis
- Ability to operate large trucks, power tools, mowers and heavy machinery safely and effectively
- Ability to productively use Microsoft Office tools , GPS units and other related technology
- Ability to lift 75+ lbs
- Ability to perform well under pressure, especially in extreme environments and remote locations
Certificates, License, Registrations:
Certification: Ability to complete Fist Aid/CPR certification within the first year of hire.
Licensure: Valid Type 3 Hawaii State Driver’s license with a clean traffic abstract
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This is a physically demanding position requiring individuals to:
- Frequently stand, walk, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and twist
- Regularly lift and/or move 35 pounds and occasionally 75+ pounds
- Regularly sit, use hands and fingers to handle, grip and feel; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear
- Work in a wide range of inclement weather and environments from extremely dry and hot to extremely wet and cold
Please see Careers page for application instructions. For questions please email email@example.com.
Due to the high number of applicants we will not be able to contact each applicant personally. Please do not hesitate to check back in with us.